Optimum Asset Management publishes quarterly financial outlooks which provide an overview of the economy as well as of the bond, Canadian equity, foreign equity and foreign currency markets.
It also contains information on our portfolios based on different economic contexts.
- In the United States, GDP growth slowed in 2019. For the time being, the leading indicators are signalling that growth will continue to slow in 2020 and 2021.
- The U.S. Federal Reserve (Fed) cut its key interest rate three times in 2019 for a total of 75 basis points. The rate cuts have extended the economic cycle and postponed expectations of a recession.
- In Canada, growth was weaker than expected. The Bank of Canada forecasts real economic growth of 1.5% in 2019, 1.7% in 2020 and 1.8% in 2021.
- For 2019, the FTSE Canada Universe Index returned 6.9%. Its strong performance is due to lower interest rates and narrowing credit spreads.
- The Toronto Stock Exchange reached a new high of 17,230 points, with a total return of 22.8%.
- The foreign equity markets had a banner year, with the MSCI World Index returning 27.3% in local currencies and 21.2% in Canadian dollars.
Our Chief Investment Officer, Fixed Income, Pierre-Philippe Ste-Marie, was a panelist at the Canadian alternative investments industry conference organized by Concordia University. We are proud to participate in the financial industry's future development.
2019 Optimum Conference
It was a great pleasure to receive our customers at the Optimum Conference, which recently took place in Montreal and Qubec. A warm thank-you to Milla Craig for her presentation on the importance of ESG factors in investment.
Éric Ouellet s’occupe des gens et, ensuite, de leurs finances! (French only)
Notre collègue en entrevue avec Liette Pitre de l’Institut québécois de planification financière
Analyse de finances personnelles
Train de vie : retourner aux études à 31 ans (French only)
Nos collègues Chantal Matos et Sylvain B. Tremblay en entrevue avec Isabelle Dubé de La Presse.
Brigitte Gascon (French only)
Congratulations to Brigitte Gascon and to all the members from the group insurance, investment and pension sector in Quebec, that were recognized in the Avantages magazine.
Optimum Groupe financier fera de la gestion d’actifs aux États-Unis (French only)
Optimum Groupe financier a conclu une entente visant l’acquisition des actifs et de l’équipe de la firme Hillswick Asset Management basée à Stamford, au Connecticut.
Audio fil : Finances personnelles (French only)
Sylvain B. Tremblay, vice-président, Gestion privée, en entrevue avec Patrick Masbourian de l'émission Les éclaireurs, parle des gens qui donnent à leurs enfants une partie de leur héritage avant de mourir (chronique : 26 mars à 19 h 44)